Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dress to Impress!

That adorable little saying used to be in nearly every fashion magazine, and it's completely gone by the wayside--much to my chagrin. While this post may be more about dressing for one's gorgeous figure, that doesn't rhyme, so that title lost.



Anywho, I've got to say that this post is inspired by Amy Elisabeth Olson, of Fingers, Figures fame. We were hanging out the other night, and she was still wearing her "teacher clothes" from her work earlier in the day. She was sitting down, and I was all "oh, that's a nice look. A lilac button-down , a brown knee-length skirt, and brown tights. Cute." Then, she stood up, and I was all "WHOA. LOOK AT THAT 12-INCH WAIST. WHERE ON EARTH DID THAT COME FROM? DID SHE GET TALLER? LOOK AT THOSE BOOBS! CAN I STOP THINKING IN ALL CAPS YET?!" Once I composed myself, I offered some clumsy compliments and secretly vowed to make an example out of her.



I've always been aware of the oft-referenced concept of "dressing for your figure" instead of hiding under yards of fabric or stuffing your body into an ill-fitted pair of pants. But, it's only when I wear a dress with a nicely nipped-in waist or see a friend in a spectacularly fitted outfit that this concept hits home. Let's outline what worked about this outfit for Miss Olson's figure, shall we?



First of all, Amy's a petite lass. She's on the short size, slender, but still has a little bit of a shape--meaning that her waist measurement is smaller than that of her hips, and her chest isn't concave. In other words, she's got one of the more coveted body types for wearing vintage clothing. While isn't often difficult for the Chesty LaRue's of this world to wear button-down shirts without looking boxy, her's was just fitted enough, and the buttons didn't begin until right above her bust line. So she got to show a lil' peek of the girls without looking obscene.



Then, the skirt. Sigh. It was extremely simple, really. Just a brown pencil skirt. But it hit at the smallest part of her waist, making her look like she was a slim, yet super sexy secretary. Interestingly enough, it fell just below her kneecaps--which, as some of you may know, can be a hard length to wear well. Thanks to her choice of a heeled boot though, she elongated the leg rather than making it look stumpy. A stellar, and flattering outfit for work or slightly structured play.



The moral of this story? DEAR GOD, dress for the body you have. Not the body you think you'll have it you keep your 2010 resolution of running five miles every day and eating fruits and vegetables instead of cookies and chips, but the lovely one that you have now. Look in the mirror, and instead of saying what's bad about yourself, think about what you'd like to highlight. That butterfly tattoo on your bum? Invest in a pair of quality hot pants! Your collarbone? Wear a boatneck sweater. If you do this, I swear that I'll be thinking IN ALL CAPS about how great you look too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I literally use your blog as a guide to fashion. If you say something is "in" or "gaudy", I certainly take note.

I can't tell you how flattered I am by this.

It should be known, though, to any other readers, that I own exactly one professional outfit, and that is it. The only changes are in the color of the button down; I have 6 in various pastel colors.

Loved our date tonight, love you all the nights.