Sunday, January 10, 2010

...and her little monsters

I really like being a part of groups with great names. That's the main reason why I joined my college English honors society, Sigma Tau Delta. Because then I could tell people that I went to an STD conference with my straightest of faces.

So, when I found out that Miss Gags had taken to calling her fans "little monsters," I was beyond thrilled. Yes! That means she personally cares about me, right? Right. Because no one wants to dissapoint someone as amazing as the Lady, her fans came dressed to the elevens Friday night. Again, pictures? HELL TO THE NO.

Allow me to set the stage for you--for one of the first times in my life, I was underdressed. While wearing a thifted sparkly blazer and huge cocktail rings on nearly every finger. I may as well have been wearing "University of Pink" sweatpants and a Snuggie. Many ladies (and gents) did their best to copy her most infamous outfits, which means that I saw a lot of homemade geometric shapes taped to black catsuits, bows made out of hair, and tulle wrapped around heads. For the MASSES of girls who weren't feeling insanely creative, but still wanted to feel like they were going to a crazy concert, they chose sequins on top of sequins with some fake eyelashes thrown in for good measure. Seriously, if Forever 21 has any stock left after this past week/weekend, color me shocked. I've never seen so many sequined minidresses.

Sidenote to Project Runway contestants (JANUARY 15!)--don't do "avant-garde" or "directional" clothing. Go to Mood, buy all the sequined fabric you can afford, and make a collection of strapless, long-sleeved, or one-sleeved dresses. Michael Kors may not fawn over you, but you will be rolling in cash.

Since I was apparently feeling understated, it's no surprise that my favorite costume is one of her more tame ones. It's in the "Bad Romance" music video when she's standing in front of the mirror. She's wearing a black, long-sleeved bodysuit with sunglasses and a tall, spiky crown. This girl did a fantastic replica! The construction paper crown held up nicely, and she even exaggerrated her bodysuit (I've never typed that word so much) with some geometric shoulder pads on the outside of the garment.

That being said, the show/her fans was and were hugely inspiring. I may not be walking around with a disco stick in the grocery store, but I'd say the new year calls for some GaGa-inspired risks. I need to earn my title as a "little monster," dontcha know.

No comments: