Sunday, July 18, 2010

My skinnies done gone and saved my life.

OK, so one of the recent changes in my life that has accompanied my reclocation to Portland is my lack of a car. It's a conscious choice--this city is insanely bike-friendly, and cars cost lots of money that could be better spent on pretty dresses and rent. So, I Craigslisted it up, snatched me a bike, and now I scoot around town on it.


Now, believe it or not, my current fancy aesthetic doesn't really lend itself all that well to bike-riding. I've yet to master a ladylike dismount, so basically, all of NE Portland will see my bits if I dress how I normally do.


Enter the (stretchy) skinny jeans and hipster boyfriend shorts.


I have a love-hate relationship with skinny jeans, like most women who aren't shaped like 10-year-old boys tend to. Pros: Stretch pairs are so malleable! And I look like Olivia Newton-John during her Grease days! Cons: FINDING A PAIR THAT FITS IS IMPOSSIBLE. The waists on all of my gape terribly, and some of them have the saggiest knees ever. I know. I have such huge problems. However, I've learned that skinny jeans are simply the best for bike riding. They're tight enough so that the fabric won't get caught in the bike chain, and have enough give to let my legs do their thangs.


When it gets hot though, skinny jeans are the pits. So, I throw on shorts--not of the booty variety, but of the "cut off right above the knee" variety. Are they flattering? Nope. Does my boyfriend have a pair that he wears all the time? Affirmative. But there's a reason why you see every person on a bike (it seems) wearing this short length. It keeps your upper thighs protected from seat chafing, but lets your shins go crazy!


While I certainly haven't hung up my dresses and skirts yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to best include them in my day-to-day wardrobe that now requires some flexibility for commuting purposes. I'll keep you all posted on the THRILLING developments!

No comments: