Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Eating crow and wearing short skirts

Bonus points to anyone who wants to research and explain to me why "eating crow" is akin to "sticking foot in mouth." I think both are fairly vile sayings, but both would be apt to describe this novel-length post. READ IT, KIDS.

Short skirts. How do we feel about them? Do we laugh at and judge girls that have to bend over in a special way so as to not reveal their ladybits? Do we silently point and giggle, while cursing the societal images that supposedly encourage dressing like a "whore," and questioning who the hell decided what a "whore" looked like? Or do we say "Damn, bitch! Where'd you get that awesome thing? I WANT IT IN THREE DIFFERENT COLORS."

I'm asking these questions after a particularly interesting Facebook exchange (yes, those do exist) I had this morning with a friend of mine. In a very thoughtful way, she called me out on yesterday's post, pointing out how she was caught off guard by my comment that the model should use her hair bow as a chastity belt, because it didn't sound like something I would say.

The best thing she said though was that it almost seemed like I was siding with bros who say ridiculous things like "well, with a skirt that short, she's totally asking for it."

Oh, shit.

It's interesting how many times I find my third-wave feminist beliefs (distilled down to: sex is awesome, girls should be able to act however they want, yay rah!) both clashing with and complementing my fashion sense. Even though I wear skirts and dresses that are far shorter than the Minnie Mouse model's, I tell myself that I'm doing it "ironically," as if that makes me more clever than a girl who wears a short skirt out to a bar because she likes her legs, and thinks guys (or girls) will like them too. Judging women (sorry guys, I don't feel like you get as harshly judged as the ladies do) by their clothing choices is one of the easiest things one can do, and yet it can be one of the most damaging things to do.

People act like making comments about too much clevage or leg showing is nothing, but in a very obvious way, these comments are another way to keep women from gaining too much confidence and in turn, power. It's truly not that far of a leap from the 19th century sentiment of "oh, Beatrice, your ankles are showing! Whatever will your husband say about your loose morals!" to the 21st century blame game of "Oh, sorry, whore. Did your tiny skirt get in the way of having sex with my boyfriend?? God, of course he can't keep his pants on when your crotch is in his face."

What I've tried to drive home all along on my blog is this: the way we choose to clothe ourselves says a whole lot more than just "well, I can't be naked, so I guess I need to have clothes." These choices can destroy or build up the confidence level of the dresser, say more about a person's personality than any acutal interaction with them, and cause a hell of a lot of controversy.

Frankly, I'd like to delete my last post. I'm disappointed and uncomfortable with how quickly I chose to make a snarky comment about a length of skirt that I wear on a near-weekly basis, especially when I think about how "pro-women making their own sartorial choices" I consider myself to be. My discomfort is magnified when especially when I read stuff like this. I invite you to read the whole article, but in case your eyes are tired from this post, I'll highlight one crucial point.

"According to the Daily Mail, 24 percent of women aged 18 to 24 believe that "wearing a short skirt, accepting a drink or having a conversation with the rapist made victims partly responsible [for their rapes]" (emphasis mine).

Wowzers. Here's to silently hanging out in bars while sipping water and wearing burlap sacks, I guess! While I think it's important to have a sense of humor about fashion as well, it's far more important to have discussions about why moral judgments (whether they're meant to be funny or not) are so quickly made on women who are just trying to wear what they want.

2 comments:

Fit For A Femme said...

Such a great post. Something parallel / related happened to me earlier last week: I was wearing thick leggings under a pretty short dress, with a fancy coat over the whole shebang. Heels.

My 12-year-old daughter and I were running errands and in the course of no more than 20 minutes, two separate PIGS made lewd, suggestive comments / invitations toward me. In front of my kid, obviously. I was livid. My kid was totally disgusted. I just wanted to get the hell home and relax. When we walked through the front door, I stripped the leggings and heels off and put the groceries away.

When my wife came home not long after, I told her all about it. Before I could even stop myself - I could hear myself scolding and making excuses all at once - I said, "...plus, it's not like I was wearing THIS exactly, not that that should make a difference, I was wearing super thick leggings when it happened! Can you believe it?!"

"It SHOULDN'T make a difference, Jonesey," she said, without missing a beat. Good woman.

I was SO ANGRY with myself for thinking it, for saying it, for being angry with myself for thinking and saying it. I'm still confused about it, which is why I've written a novella on your blog post. :) I hope you don't mind.

I do try and refrain from girl-on-girl crime as much as I can, which is most of the time, and sometimes I forget that a girl can easily inflict girl-on-girl crime on HERSELF.

Thanks again for an eye-opening post!

Alyssa said...

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response, dearie! It's so interesting to see and hear about the lengths that we often go to when "rationalizing" something like the length of a dress. It's just like your wife said--it shouldn't make a difference how long or short something is. You're not asking for harassment.

All that aside, I remain perplexed by the whole thing as well--as my rambling reply indicates. Part of me wants to throw on the shortest skirt I own and strut around defiantly, and another part of me is all too aware that wearing a mini little something just to prove a point won't necessarily prove anything! This is why I love hearing from another confused fashion maven on a matter like this :)