Thursday, March 25, 2010

JOOLZ!

So, I've talked a little bit about my awesome grandma on this here blog--the lady of the golden booties and fantastic costume jewelry. Well, the other day, my mom offered up a few gems from my OTHER grandma, which have subsequently been making my life a whole lot better.

I think my favorite ring out of the bunch has to be one that looks something like this. Be aware that that picture is of a crazily expensive diamond engagement ring, and the one that I have...well, isn't. It's something that could probably be found at a discount department store in the "Fine Joolrey" section.

That being said, I absolutely love faux engagement rings. They get everyone so riled up and confused! I am so tickled by the importance and meaning attached to a band with a "diamond" in it worn on the ring finger of a lady's left hand. It's such a revered symbol that I can't help but be all "Look at me! I'm nowhere close to gettin' hitched, but I don't need a man to wear a ring on my left hand!" My feminist-lite attitude about faux engagement rings reminds me of the whole "right-hand ring" sensation that swept the country (or really, really tried to) a few years ago. All of these jewelry companies realized that they weren't capitalizing on the vast number of women who aren't married but still (gasp!) have disposable income. So, in the spirit of "Because you're worth it!", many started marketing these UGLY right-hand rings that were meant to destigmatize buying oneself jewelry. Ideally, if we could transcend time and space, "Single Ladies" would have accompanied these ads.

Damn. At the risk of ruining my right-hand ring rampage, I think this one is to die for. You've won this battle, right-hand ring, but not the war!

No comments: