Friday, February 12, 2010

Show that neon pride.

I hesitate to call myself "crafty."

"Crafty" can often lead to "creative," and Lord knows I can't live up to the expectations that people put on creative individuals. Ask me to make a macaroni necklace, and I will WOW you with my use of both elbow and campanelle pasta shapes, but ask me to sew an A-line skirt, or even produce a sketch of said skirt, I'll run away crying and stew over my inadequacies as a person for the next week.

Also, crafts used to make me think of two things: kindergarten and bitter divorcees who use their settlement monies to fund a line of purses made out of faux fur and woven together with the threads of UNENDING ANGER TOWARD THEIR FORMER SPOUSE. So, while I loved kindergarten, I'm not a big fan of lumping myself with angry women. However, when you only work for 20 hours a week, you're left with some time on your hands. Which is why I decided to try crocheting for a second time.

My mom tried to teach me several months ago, but I have this terrible tendency to give up on something if I'm not excelling at it within five minutes. After three minutes of trying to do a slip knot, I decided that my fingers were like sausages and therefore, I was genetically unable to continue trying. Fast forward to last month, where my mom (because she's still awesome and patient) agreed to teach me again. And for some odd reason, I was slipknotting my lil' heart out. My sausages transformed into the nimblest of fingers! Now, all I want to do is crochet with divorcees for the rest of my life!

So basically, that's the story of how I came to love crafts. That neon pink orb in the left corner was my second project. I wanted to combine my fondness toward paper chains from kindergarten, assaultingly bright colors, and scarves. Done, done, and done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made this!? Vinny! It's beautiful! It's so tightly and finely done. You are like a pro :)

Anonymous said...

I am proud...

Frank said...

I remember when Brianna tried to get me and Kyle to crochet one day in the writing center. That lasted all of 5 minutes...for me...Kyle was actually pretty good at it.