Thursday, August 19, 2010

INSPIRATION NATION







The middle photo was taken from The Sartorialist, which I think is a little overhyped as a site, but the boy (Scott Schuman) certainly does know how to take a picture. While these three pictures aren't the be-all and end-all of what I've been (stylishly) thinking about lately, they're certainly a good start.
I'm a sucker for photos of nebulas and other cosmic things of that gorgeous nature. All of the colors work so incredibly well together, and while there are tons of clothes I'd like to buy with that exact picture printed on them, I see it simply as the colors I want to wear together all the time. With glitter sprayed over them to achieve the appropriate effect, obviously.
Not sure why I'm so attracted to the middle picture--I think it's the absolute effortlessness that this woman exudes while wearing an ensemble that's decidedly full of effort. No one wakes up and decides that it would be easier to throw on their multi-buckled gladiator boots instead of a pair of flippy-floppies. And that dress? I DIE. Seriously. Chiffon dresses that blow around in the wind like they're going to show everything if you don't move the right way are my all-time favorites. Only in theory, though. I unconsciously tried to re-create this look for my last birthday. Let's just say that I did not exude natural grace and beauty like this lass does. No, I exuded more of a "desperately clutching to the world's whispiest fabric and using my boyfriend as an ineffective wind shield" effect. It was charming.
And finally, we have Winny and Johnny. I include this picture because I'm getting a wee bit obsessed with cross jewelry and sheer shirts/dresses/everything else, but also for the "coupling" aspect of the duo's outfits. I find that even though I have a distinct style that I like to play around with (Golden Girls sparkle meets all-American comfort with a strange dominiatrix moment thrown in for fun and confusion), I definitely have a tendency to blend in with whoever I'm dating at the time. Yes, I'm that amorphous person that starts to look like their dog. Except I look like my boyfriend. Who's not a dog. Anywho, I wake up every so often realizing that it's been a long time since I wore a pattern OTHER than plaid and a jean other than a skinny, so I have to remind myself to take a little extra effort and look more like myself. Which, to make a rambling point, is what Winona does perfectly here. Though, if my boyfriend looked like Jim Carrey during his Mask days, I'd probably try a lot harder to look like myself too.
So, there we have it! A PEEK INTO MY SECLUDED (fashion) MIND. Kind of like Inception, but not at all.

No comments: