Monday, August 30, 2010

I love thrifting. Yes, I'm STILL writing about it.

So, I love me a good thrifting trip for the scavenging fun and the savings. This love was recently reinforced by a weekend trip to the mall. With my boyfriend out of the house all day, I took it as an excuse to do all of the excessively girly things that I don't really do anymore because of the stares I would get from his judging eyes. (Just kidding, guys. I do what I want! But I really like shopping by myself, so it was nice to not have to be all "NO, BOYFRIEND. YOU CAN'T COME PICK OUT CLOTHES WITH ME.") Right after he closed the door, I prettied myself up and took a stroll to the mall.

HOLY GOD, I HATE MALLS. I honestly had forgotten. First of all, no one "pretties" up anymore. In fact, lots of people barely wear pants. But this was my day! I wasn't going to let a few pantsless bandits get in my way! Now, know that I didn't plan on buying anything. I mainly just wanted to oogle clothes. Instead, I became a senior citizen that CAN'T BELIEVE how much people charge for shirts. You! You over there! Do you see how much this costs? My mother could make this for pennies on the dollar! She could also feed me and my 11 siblings for less than $3.50! Just kidding, I don't have 11 siblings. But my mother was mighty creative with potatoes.

And that shock came from looking at the prices for the evil, evil (yet so pretty sometimes!) Forever 21. They pride themselves on being a budget store, and let's be honest--they are. But I had a hard time buying one piece of clothing for $22.50. That could buy me an armful at Goodwill! Also though, I think that I feel this way because the trends this fall are so incredibly thriftable. '90s minimalism/sorta grunge is back with a vengence (like it ever left), and thrift stores seem to only stock things from that era. That ugly floral maxi dress for $19.50 will probably cost you $6, max via a thrift store. And that's a refined thrift store.

Quick "refined" side note: There's a place in Portland called "The Bins" (i.e. the Goodwill outlet) that charges you per pound. It's something like $1 per pound of stuff you have. Sure, you should only root around with gloves on (yeah, people have found gross things in there), but I like the novelty of buying a wardrobe in pounds.

Don't like wearing other peoples' cast-offs? Get over it. Seriously, I don't have much else to say besides that. Normally, lepers aren't donating their clothes left and right, so you're not really risking much by not buying things new. Usually a nice trip through the washing machine will quell any fears you have. Also, you're creating less waste! Congratulations, the environment loves you.

Now, once I have a little more capital, I plan on fully supporting classy retail stores that I love. Because hello--we all need to buy new stuff every now and then to keep the cycle of "Buy, Donate, then Thrift Another's Bounty" alive.

No comments: