Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What to Wear When...going on a first date

I'm going to try my hand at a more substantive post, because I'm sure you've all been missing my witty words. So, in my world, substance = let's talk about date night clothing options!

Now, I'm a bit out of practice on this one. I haven't been on a "first date" in years. It's not like I've been with my boyfriend for forever, but most of the guys I've "dated" have been all "OMG, dates are so BOURGEOIS."

Sidenote: sometimes, people apply ideas that they've learned about in college to the wrong situations. Like, "hmm...I'm cheap. But I don't want to say I'm cheap. Let's instead say that I'm raging against the bourgeois machine! That'll do the trick!"

That being said, I don't currently go on many dates. When my boyfriend (I know, I throw that term around so much. BUT WHATEVS, I like saying boyfriend) is in town or I'm visiting him, I'll just dress my usual ridiculous way that he's used to. However, if I was trying to make a first impression, I wouldn't wear my normal "really short skirt or tight pants/oversized sparkly sweater combo" that I usually do when I'm out with him.

I'd probably wear something like this, paired with these and this.

Stay with me on the dress choice. First of all, that color is awesome. Second of all, what if the date goes badly and you start getting emotionally uncomfortable? The last thing you want to be is physically uncomfortable in a dress that binds you in so tightly that you can't eat. And besides, just because you're not showing the girls off doesn't mean that you're not sexy. You're wearing heels! And you have a clutch made of zippers! You're practically a dominatrix.

No comments: