Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thanks for inviting my ass and boobs to the party!

I rip on magazines a lot. I really shouldn't, because after my EXTENSIVE career as a journalist (4 whole years!) I realized how appealing it is to use lame headlines and pat cover lines when you've got a deadline. Yeah, I could make an article on the new addition to the primate house at Brookfield Zoo sound compelling, but I'd rather just write "Monkeys go bananas for their new habitat!" and go home.

That being said, I hold the editors and writers at nationally-known fashion magazines to a slightly higher standard than I do myself. So when a magazine like Bazaar--which is actually way more creative and interesting to read than Vogue--has the cover line "Curves are back!" on their upcoming issue, I get a little stabby. Seriously? I can sometimes stomach the token "Prints are in!" or "Neon is the new black!" line, but welcoming an entire body type back into the fold in such a pithy way is just irresponsible journalism.

The only good thing that can come of a cover line like that is that the corresponding story might be titled "Baby Got Back." Just to keep things clever, you know.

2 comments:

Frank said...

Well, let's be honest, did the Chronicle really count as "journalism"?

Alyssa said...

Quiet, you.