Saturday, October 10, 2009

Why I love Madeleine Albright

Because as one of the most influential political figures of the past couple of decades, she used her jewelry to convey messages to fellow diplomats rather than see it as a frivolous addition to an outfit. Fun fact: Saddam Hussein's poet-in-residence called Albright "an unparalleled serpent." The next time she met with the Iraqi government, she donned a snake pin. God, if I ever have the opportunity to make that big of a statement with such a small accessory, I'll be thinking of her. Honestly, if you like pretty pictures and pins (two of my favorite things, of course), do yourself a favor and check out Read My Pins: Stories From a Diplomat's Jewel Box.

Now, if only my other feminist hero, Ruth Ginsburg, would publish a book like that. I'm thinking Supreme Style: Big Glasses and Badass Blouses. Eh, eh?

1 comment:

Kelley said...

you really have no idea how excited I get when you post something new.