Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Patience

You know what's terrible about growing your hair out? Wanting to cut your hair everyday. Having grand delusions that if you just cut your hair, you would look EXACTLY like Jean Seberg in Breathless (pictured above from aestheticalterations.blogspot.com) and feel like a million bucks all the time.

Now, I'm aware that I will not look like Jean Seberg if I cut my hair. Even though I have a striped shirt, and am awfully good and holding a rolled-up piece of paper. But there's just something about having short hair that I always want. I've had a pixie haircut at least three times in my life (that I can recall), yet within a few months--or a few weeks in some cases--I'm dutifully growing it out because I want to look like Rapunzel.

Methinks there's some kind of lesson here in being happy with what you have when you have it. However, I'm too busy imagining myself as that doll whose hair you can instantly lengthen and shorten with just one tug to really flesh it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am growing, too! I've had a lot of success with teasing my hair into a lion mane. It curbs the cutting urge.

audrey said...

i hear you. i just grew and grew and grew mine for months until i realized, oh, i look kinda silly with long hair. now i'm thinking about going back to pixie. . . we'll see.