Wednesday, December 9, 2009

One part Lars von Trier, one part Medea

My friend/resident film buff KMC (initials make everyone more mysterious! Even though most everyone knows who I'm referring to.) recently lent me a rash of films by that crazy director, and I watched my first one this past Monday. Since I have zero confidence in my ability to interpret films, I figured that I should start off my von Trier venture with a movie that had a plot I would understand. Medea it is! I liked it quite a bit, and while I've got all sorts of silly observations to attempt to impress KMC with, one thing that struck me on a bloggy, aesthetic level was the costuming of Medea. He's got her in a sort of black skull cap, and a long-sleeved, floor-length black dress. Both the skull cap and the dress look like they've been covered and re-covered with strips of torn black fabric, which created some interesting texture, and helped to convey (fairly obviously) the shredded remains of the life Medea had with Jason.

Fast forward to today when I decided that it would be SO COOL if I could dress like von Trier's Medea. No need to point out that I am a hopeless nerd. Some people might think it's creepy to emulate the style of a desperate woman who murdered her kids. I think that she's misunderstood and looks like she came off the Rodarte A/W '10 runway. Hence why I spent the entire day in two black dresses, ripped black tights, a navy wrap sweater, and bondage-y boots. It didn't necessarily scream "don't leave me with your children!" but I liked it well enough.

Just wait until I watch The Passion of Joan of Arc. Who knows what runway show I'll be able to reduce Carl Th. Dryer to!

No comments: