Sunday, December 27, 2009

On allure

I'm obsessed with women who look like they have a secret.

Pardon my ineloquence, but I honestly can't think of a better way to describe that look that some women have. I'm obsessed with them because where they look like they have a secret, I look like I want to tell you the password to the treehouse in my backyard. There is nothing mysterious about the way I move, smile, or frown. I am, in a word, obvious. Plenty of praises can be sung of obvious women (right? RIGHT.), but there is something inherently captivating about a woman who is slightly more subtle, whether it be in the way she interacts with people or the way she dresses. I will never stop praising the virtues of a higher-than-high heel, nor will I cease wearing a garish shade of red lipstick to go to church or the grocery store. However, I may start channeling some of the subtlety that I covet into my wardrobe. If only because it's a new decade, and change is good, and blah blah blah. Whatever. I just want to see if I can get as excited about a well-tailored dress pant or simple blouse as I can about a sequined jumpsuit at Goodwill.

When it comes to possessing an alluring, mysterious personality...no dice. I'll probably still laugh like I'm having a heart attack, turn ridiculous shades of red when I'm excited or nervous, and walk like I'm on a mission, but perhaps I can get people to think "Wow, I wonder what's going on underneath the turtleneck of that gaffawing, red-faced speed walker."

No comments: