Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stayin' safe and unsexy

Soapbox warning: Um, I'm getting on one.

I have a whole host of fashion bloggers that I admire and love reading on a daily basis. Recently, one of them posted about a supercute helmet that made even them, someone who hates helmets and doesn't wear one, want to own it.

Now, I'm especially sensitive about helmets these days. I recently had a lil' spill on my trusty bike, and because I was wearing my huge, nerdy teal helmet, I was only hurt a bit rather than QUITE a bit. It made me think: do we always need to be looking stylish and sleek? I've gotten a new helmet since this tumble, and it screams "HEY! ALL I DO IS KEEP YOUR BRAINS FROM SPILLING OUT" even more than my teal number. But do I care? Nope. My hair is always flat after taking my helmet off, and any cute twists or braids I've attempted are decidedly un-cute. And a beehive? Not unless I'm walkin'. It's decent at keeping my head warm in the winter, but since I'm a normal person and sweat, I absolutely despise wearing my helmet in the spring and summer.

However, despite all of its sartorial shortcomings, it does one thing that my on-trend maxi skirts and platform sandals can never do: keep me safe and riding for many years to come.

No comments: