Saturday, August 22, 2009

A galactic version of the '80s cocktail dress? Yes, please.

As I hinted at in my last post, I'm sort of happy that ridiculously overwrought fashion has made a comeback. Yes, the cultural, political, ethical, and every other -al implications of that statement make me cringe from time to time, but I can't help it. I love when designers do what I feel like they're supposed to do--design for the world they wished they could live in. That's why I find it so funny when critics bemoan how "unwearable" a certain collection is. When that criticism surfaces, I'm all the more excited to take a peek at what that designer is offering. A 50-pound tulle confection of a dress, accented by real gold leaves on the bodice? That's EXACTLY what I need when I'm getting married in an enchanted forest! What makes the design world great is the amount of imagination that goes into the conception of the pieces, as well the the imagination of the viewer.

That being said, I'm absolutely loving that nearly every single designer is harkening back to the '80s this fall, but doing so to varying degrees and levels of wearability. One of my favorite designers of the season in Balmain, a French label. Every time I see the insanely exagerrated shoulders, or the absolute abuse of sequins, I let out an audible squeal.

I mean, just look at this. LOOK AT THIS.

AND THESE.


Sigh. Time to go stuff the shoulders of all my clothes with tissues so that I can look cool.

No comments: